New study from Alight Solutions reveals that creating a strong employee experience is key to attracting talent in today’s job market
Lincolnshire, ILL. December 13, 2018
— As competition for top talent heats up against the increasingly competitive job market, U.S. companies are looking for ways to attract and retain the best and brightest workers. However, a new report from Alight Solutions, a leader in technology-enabled health, wealth, and human capital management solutions, reveals that companies will need to be thoughtful in their approach, as most workers don’t feel particularly positive about their overall employee experience, the adequacy of their total rewards or the technology and communication they are experiencing in the workplace.
According to Alight’s 2018 Workforce Mindset Study
, only one out of every ten employees say their overall work experience significantly exceeds their expectations, and only 38 percent would consider their employee experience “awesome” or “great.” Perceived competitiveness of total rewards is also waning with 23 percent of employees saying their rewards are below or well below those of other companies, up from only 15 percent in 2015. Just over half (54 percent) of workers feel their overall total rewards meet their own needs or the needs of their family — in line with last year.
“Designing a great employee experience requires employers to really understand what their current and future workforce expects, wants and needs,” explained Ray Baumruk, vice president of consumer experience research & insights at Alight. “To compete in this tightening job market, U.S. employers need to think strategically, not only about what resonates with their workers but also what makes them special as an employer. For some that may mean focusing on things like culture and collaboration, while for others it could mean investing in new technology or dedicating more time to enhancing communication and connections.”
Alight’s data show workers have a clear idea of what would improve or differentiate their experience:
- Fun, flexibility and pay. These are the top three characteristics employees indicate differentiate their employer. In fact, 51 percent of employees say they would not consider a job that provides less flexibility than their current role.
- Technology. Employees are five times more engaged when they feel HR systems and platforms are easy to use, and they are six times more engaged when those systems are effective.
- Rewards. Employees who feel their rewards meet their needs are seven times more likely to be engaged with work than employees who don’t.
To enhance the employee experience, Alight suggests employers consider the following actions:
- Make the workplace and work experience more modern and personal. Evaluate the current workplace experience and develop ways to modernize it. This can be as simple as providing more work hour flexibility or reorganizing existing work spaces.
- Find what makes the organization special and tell that story. Establish an employee value proposition and make sure it clearly and concisely articulates how the employee experience matches what the organization’s most critical employees expect and desire. Use it to constantly tell and evolve your organization’s story.
- Tune up tools. Make sure technology, communication and resources produce simple, connected, and aligned experiences to make it easier for workers to contribute to their highest potential. Employees get frustrated when they feel technology and tools are holding them back.
- Empower managers. Provide managers with active personal support and specific direction to maximize their role in leading the organization and developing employees. Personal, meaningful connections among workers and their supervisors create sticky, long-term relationships.
- Ask, listen, act, repeat. Use resources like surveys, performance management conversations, town halls, exit interviews, and other platforms to solicit input from employees about what’s working and what’s not. Then take action.
View the infographic and other key insights in the 2018 Workforce Mindset Study here
About Alight Solutions
Alight Solutions is a leading provider of integrated benefits, payroll and cloud solutions. With more than 15,000 professionals across 29 countries, Alight provides leading-edge benefits administration and ERP technology and services to more than 3,250 clients including 50% of the Fortune 500. Alight’s combination of data-driven insights and technology expertise create unique value for clients. Alight is a six-time member of IAOP’s Global Outsourcing 100. Learn how Alight drives better business outcomes and employee wellbeing for organizations of all sizes at alight.com.